Friday, June 25, 2010

Being the Light in the Darkness

I previously wrote to you about “Cindy” who is in jail for 30 days. I have visited her and received two letters that have moved me so much I felt I should write to tell you about them.

Chris Sunami, our youth pastor, once preached a wonderful sermon about how you can live in heaven even if you are in “hell” or you can live in “hell” even when you are in "heaven". This Sunday we will be singing a song called “I’m Choosing Heaven Today” and I will think about Cindy when we sing it.

She wrote:
“I went to church here today. It was a very nice service. I’ve started a bible study in our Pod – about three of us. Each girl here has her own room, so that’s nice. I pray every day and I stay positive and hopeful. I’m going to get a job by hook or by crook because I don’t intend to keep doing this!

It took me a long time to write because commissary wasn’t until today. I miss the church badly. Tell everyone I said hello! I think I’m going to miss party on the plaza :-( . But I’ll be at the next one! :-)

I ask God to create in me a clean heart and to renew my spirit daily. And I continue to trust in Him. Please continue to pray for me. The deputies here are very nice and so are the girls. I get along with them all.
Love ya!
“Cindy”

She drew a picture on the envelope of a cross with light streaming from it.

When I visited her the following week, she told me that she wasn’t allowed to have a bible in her room and could only read one in a common room. (I can’t fathom the reason for this). But her little group was studying the Bible and she was staying hopeful. I also learned for the first time that Cindy is an artist. She has been drawing portraits for any of the women who want one.

I was touched that she was more concerned about me than herself. “I was so worried that you were going to be upset when you saw me in handcuffs”, she told me. I am so moved by her positive attitude and faith, and her determination to rise above this problem and make things right when she gets out. There are a number of people also determined to help her succeed when she gets out.

She said, “When we came to the hearing, I thought I might end up here, but I had been going to Christian living group, Healthy Living Group and worship every week so I felt like I had my armor on this time. I’ll be okay.”

Last Sunday was Father’s Day. During worship sharing joys and concerns three or four people shared that they had never known their father, or their father had been abusive or done things no father should ever do. One had a father who died when he was young. Each person ended their sharing with some variation of “but, I know I have a loving Father in heaven.” Pastor John then preached on ‘Our Daddy, who art in heaven” and said that regardless of whether we had a loving human father, our Father, God, is here and accessible to each of us and reminds us how much we are loved. “Abba” is the term used in the Lord’s Prayer and it literally means “Daddy”.

Many people grew up in a hell I cannot even comprehend. Others are trapped in a hell of addiction or one made by their own mistakes. Others are held down by a system that gives them few breaks. Some are plagued with mental illness. Relationships can be shattered and broken. And all of us face illness and death at some point in our lives. In all our personal “hells” we have the freedom to choose heaven or choose hell; to live in the darkness or live in the light.

And, as Cindy so beautifully is demonstrating, we can be the light to others who are in darkness, even while in jail.

May your week be full of light!

No comments:

Post a Comment